Changes to Vodafone data charges caused concern among customers last week. Now Vodafone has clarified its position. It says it won’t start charging customers who go over their 500MB data limit from June 1 for “a few months”. Read on for Vodafone’s explanation…
When we reported on Friday that alterations to Vodafone data charges were proving unpopular, lots of readers wrote to us to share their disquiet about the move. While iPhone and Nexus One owners who get 1GB of data were unaffected, people who plumped for phones like the HTC Desire were peeved.
Now Vodafone says it will not charge users who go over their data limit initially. It says: “In June we’ll be introducing a free text service to tell our contract customers when they’re approaching the upper limit of their data bundle.”
Vodafone says this will affect very few of its customers: “As the vast majority of our mobile internet subscribers (more than 97 per cent) never reach the limit they will not be receiving the text alerts at all.” It says it won’t apply additional charges straight away.
Vodafone claims that less than 3 per cent of its customers will near their data limit. After sending several text alerts, Vodafone says they will “be advised to upgrade to another data plan to avoid incurring unnecessary additional charges.”
If you’re one of the affected customers, does the new statement on Vodafone data charges reassure you? Let us know in the comments.
Out now | £varies | Vodafone